Civil engineers are a big part of the design of almost every man-made structure you see around you. Whatever big project you’re working on, having a great civil engineering company to guide you from development to completion can make a world of difference. But with so many different civil engineering branches, how do you know where to start?
Whether you’re looking for civil engineering in Denver or nationwide, understanding the different branches and the purposes they serve is essential. Here’s how the main types of civil engineering break down so you can make the best choice for your next project.
CenterPoint attended their annual baseball game. Charlie Blackmon hit a solo home run with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning and the Rockies held the Houston Astros to one hit at Coors Field in a 3-2 victory…what a game!
Come join our civil engineering group in Denver West located near the Federal Center light rail stop. Our ideal candidate must be able to use computer-aided design AUTOCAD Civil 3D, to provide engineering design support for land development and civil engineering projects. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Project Managers and Engineers to set-up and manage construction drawings
- Prepare dimensional drawings, create and/or modify base drawings
- Revise and update existing drawings to reflect design changes
- Create and manage electronic document file structure, naming conventions in accordance with company standards.
- Productive team member and AutoCAD user to work a typical set of project documents from beginning to end with professional quality output.
- Work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Works with project teams on drawings which meet and exceed the customer’s requirements (bid and submittal phase).
- Serve as an information source during construction, and prepare as-constructed drawings
- Maintain notes, design calculations and documentation for future reference and continuous improvement on future documents.
Associate’s degree of completion of a technical trade school in CAD, drafting or related field, plus at least two years of related work experience, or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Routinely uses higher-level commands, time-saving programs and routines.
Experience using advanced AutoCad functions including Sheet Set Manager, Xref manager, Palettes and Design Center.
Specialized Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proficient in AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Excellent communications skills: Interpersonal, listening, oral and written
- Skilled in PC usage and associated software including Microsoft Office
- Able to generate layout drawings from sketches and specifications
- Familiar with design parameters related to land development: Site grading plans, water line design, utilities location, sanitary and storm water, etc.
- Knowledgeable of standard drafting practices and procedures
- Able to work with minimal supervision, exercise independent judgment
- Able to efficiently schedule and manage time
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member.
- Must be able to achieve generally stated objectives and requirements.
If you meet the above qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Centerpoint is committed to supporting children, education and neighborhoods in the communities where we work and live. This year Centerpoint set a goal to partner with a local non-profit, Urban Peak, who provides full convergence of services for youth ages 15 through 24 experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. Our goal was not only to accomplish this through financial donations, but also acts of personal service. With the help of CenterPoint employees, Urban Peak’s drop-in room was remodeled.
CenterPoint provides professional feasibility, entitlement, permitting and civil engineering services for CarMax Auto Superstores nationwide. Recently, CenterPoint completed their Golden, CO store.
Changes and opportunities that were faced, included:
- Regional detention pond was undersized and not constructed correctly, required a full engineering redo of the pond to meet the capacity necessary for the development.
- Fire/Emergency access to site is only served by one entrance for the entire Interplaza West development. The City was looking to CarMax to provide a secondary means of egress from the development by means of the CDOT ROW. After some negotiations with the City and Fire Dept, this requirement was dropped since it was impractical and would have severely delayed the project.
- RAGE (Restriction Agreement and Grant of Easements) Amendments with Kohls and Home Depot to allow for additional off-site signage and the use of vehicle sales. This process was lengthy and took several rounds of negotiations to finally be granted approval.
- Golden Green Menu. The City requires all new commercial developments to achieve points on their green menu to make the site more environmentally friendly. We worked with the City to establish the requirements for this site and were able to incorporate items that prototypical CarMax’s already have to save on the money needed to meet the required point value. Items like building automation, LED lighting and roof R value were used for points that are prototypical.
The store opened in February of 2018 on-time and on budget.
Congratulations to Jim Langel and his family, on welcoming a new baby girl to their family!
CenterPoint Integrated Solutions recruited Jim Langel due to recent growth.
“The additional staff will assist in fulfilling CenterPoint’s vision to become known as the development services and civil engineering firm with the best customer experience,” said President Greg Toler. “We were able to achieve our hiring goals in this tough competitive market by finding proven people who fit into our company culture,” he said.
Jim Langel, P.E. has more than a decade of engineering, managing and constructing complex projects. As a development manager, Jim will manage the successful feasibility and site development for key national clients. He is a professional civil engineer in multiple states with an emphasis in site development and underground utilities. Jim holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Iowa, and is currently pursuing an M.S. in Engineering Management from the University of Kansas.
CenterPoint Integrated Solutions (CPIS), expands its services for Floor & Decor. CPIS provides professional feasibility, entitlement, permitting and civil engineering services for Floor & Decor nationwide. Our services are used by Floor & Decor to assist in site selection, lease negotiations and budget development that result in store openings. To date CenterPoint performed various Development and Civil Services at nearly 30-locations, comprising of over 2,000,000 square feet (SF) from coast to coast. After Floor & Decor selects a location; CenterPoint leads a team of consultants to coordinate the feasibility process. Our development team takes projects through entitlements by managing the preparation and submittal of the necessary documentation to obtain local approvals from the respective jurisdictions. As a trusted partner, CenterPoint presents at public City, County or local agency meetings on behalf of the client.
CenterPoint Integrated Solutions, LLC (“CPIS”) enjoys another successful year. In 2016, CPIS managed over 30 commercial, retail, residential and solar projects comprising nearly 1,000,000 square feet of development with a total real estate value exceeding $300,000,000. The projects were spread over 20 States, from Washington to Florida. CPIS delivered projects on time and within budget. Services provided by CPIS included pre-feasibility, feasibility, securing entitlements, civil engineering, cost estimating, subcontractor selection and management and development management. Additionally, CPIS provided private clients with Site Sourcing/Site Selection, Purchase and Sale Negotiation and Financial Pro Forma Development. We continue to grow our professional skill set and customer base while maintaining the highest quality deliverables to our existing clients. This would not have happened without the trust of our patrons or our dedicated staff!